Since 1850, the historic Trinity Lutheran Church has been a gathering place of worship in the city of Detroit. Located in the Historic Eastern Market District, the church is a designated historic site on the national, state, and city levels. It is designed in an Old World cathedral style of 16th century Pier and Clerestory Gothic with an interior that makes it a lovely place to worship.
Trinity Lutheran started as a wood-frame chapel on Larned Street before a larger church was dedicated in 1866 at its present location.
Construction materials used to make the house of worship on the present site include granite, Indiana limestone, slate for the roof and floor, and, of course, stained glass.
Its bell tower, designed by architect William E.N. Hunter, is 104 feet and represents the towers of medieval castles. There are also 300 figures adorning the exterior, including Luther.
For well over a century, Trinity Lutheran has been the Mother Church of Detroit Lutheranism. Over time, the church grew to over 132 churches around Michigan.
For article, click below: