This summer dive into good books, programs, prizes, activities and fun by joining the 2010 Summer Reading Program that runs from June 8th through August 17th at the Rochester Hills Public Library. There is something for everyone, no matter what your age. Registration begins June 8th and may be done online on the library’s website at www.rhpl.org., at the library or on the bookmobile. Registration is open to all residents of Rochester, Rochester Hills, and Oakland Township.
The Youth Summer Reading Program, “Make a Splash!”, is open to children from birth through age twelve. Children must have their own library cards to register. Check out www.rhpl.org/summerreading for additional information, contests, fun ideas and great reading suggestions for the entire family. Summer activities, sponsored by the Friends of the Library include:
- Books, Buddies and Blankets
Weekly – Check the library’s events calendar at www.rhpl.org for all dates and locations.
Bring a buddy and a blanket (and a grown up or two!) and join us in the grassy area at the end of the West Parking lot for storytime. As long as the weather cooperates, we will be outside. Rain location is the Multipurpose Room. All ages are welcome. Online registration is required and begins one week prior to the event. Confirmation numbers are required. For more BBB fun, check the events calendar at the Village of Rochester Hills to find out when your favorite librarians will be reading there too!
- June Evening Family Storytime
- Thursday, June 10, Story Room
- 7:00 – 7:30 p.m., Ages 0 – 8 with their adults
- Come to the Story Room ready to celebrate the start of summer with books, songs and silly dances. It wouldn’t be a summer celebration without a beach towel, so bring that too. Register everyone attending and make sure to bring your confirmation number with you. Online registration begins on June 3 at 9 a.m.
- Jazz Up your Logs!
June 18, Story Room
10:00, 10:30, 11:00 a.m. or 3:00, 3:30 or 4:00 p.m.; All Ages
Meet at the Story Room with your pre-printed reading log and make it fancy using our mish-mash of supplies! Beginning June 11 sign up for one 30 minute session, and remember to make note of your confirmation number. Children six and younger must have an adult accompany them. Print your reading log at www.rhpl.org/summerreading.
- Jennifer Strauss Presents From Shore to Shore!
- Saturday, June 19, West Parking Lot – Rain location Multipurpose Room
- 11 a.m., All Ages
- Go “Up North” without leaving home! The entire family will travel along the shores of our Great Lakes State and experience Michigan’s woods and waters, critters and loggers, ships and lighthouses in song and story. Online registration begins June 12 at 9 a.m., please register adults and children attending the program.
- Annual Ice Cream Social
June 24, West Entrance
1:30 – 3 p.m., All Ages
Join us for a “scooper” good time as we celebrate summer with vanilla and sprinkles! No registration is required.
- PAWS for Reading
- Wednesday evenings, Youth Room
- 6:30 – 8:00 p.m.
- Share your love of reading with Annabelle and Lucy. To schedule an appointment, please call Youth Services at 248 650-7140.
The Teen Summer Reading Program “Make Waves at Your Library” is open to teens ages 13 to 18. Read five books to claim a prize and your ticket into the Summer Reading Finale in August, featuring pizza, tons of prizes, and video games. Check www.rhpl.org/teen for all of our summer events, including (but not limited to!):
- Downtown Rochester Scavenger Hunt
Saturday June19, 2 to 5 p.m.
Submissions accepted June 1 through August 1
Hands-on Comics Workshop with Jerzy Drozd
Saturday, July 24, 2 to 4 p.m.
Video Game Freeplay Days
Saturdays, June 5, July 10, & August 7, 2:30 to 5:30 p.m.
The theme for the Adult Summer Reading Program and the Large Print Summer Reading program is “Dive Into Summer Reading”. The Adult program offers a variety of titles for your enrichment or pleasure. If you have discovered the world of large print, join the Large Print program and enjoy a book from our large print collection. Reading four books between June 8th and August 17th qualifies one for great prizes in our random drawing. For information on the Adult Reading program, call Adult Services at 248-650-7130 and for the Large Print Reading Program, call Outreach Services at 248-650-7150.
Also scheduled this summer are an Adult and Teen Paperback Book Swap on Tuesday, June 22 from 6:30 to 8 p.m., and a Book Discussion for adults of Lark and Termite by Jayne Anne Phillips on Thursday, July 22 from 7 to 8 p.m. Registration is required for both events. Registration for the Adult and Large Print Summer Reading programs and events are open to those who live or work in Rochester, Rochester Hills, or Oakland Township and have an RHPL library card.
The Rochester Hills Public Library is located in downtown Rochester two blocks east of Main Street off of University Drive on Olde Towne Road.