German gothic, in Detroit



German gothic, in Detroit, originally uploaded by dnj_Brian.

St. Joseph, Detroit. One of Detroit’s most significant churches, and one of the top 5 oldest remaining churches. Parish founded: 1855. Cornerstone: 1870; Dedicated for use: 1873; Spire complete: 1892; complete in present form: 1911. On the National Register, noted for stained glass. Designed by Francis G. Himpler of Munich via NYC, mimicking Bavarian hall churches such as the Freiburg Cathedral. Tower houses a 5,000 lb bell, still in use, and once the largest swinging bell in the US. Trenton Limestone tower rises to 200 feet, visible for miles along Gratiot and from Belle Isle. Today, St. Joseph keeps up the Latin Mass and traditional music/orchestral Masses. The interior is in its original form, and the high Altar is still in use. www.saint-joseph-detroit.org

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Leave a Comment

Social media & sharing icons powered by UltimatelySocial

WPGrow