This is the Schwankovsky Temple of Music on Woodward Avenue in Detroit. It was designed by Gordon W. Lloyd as a music store for the R.J. Schwankovsky Company. The company was founded in 1879 and this structure was built in 1891. It is six stories high and made of brick and brownstone. It has a cast iron frame and was one of the first “high-rises” on Woodward. It was also one of the first buildings in Detroit that included an electric elevator! When the music store went out of business in the 1920’s, it became a jewelry store that was in operation until the 1970’s. Now it is the home of House of Fabrics. Behind it also stands another Detroit landmark, the Metropolitan. – Scotts World
The historical marker for the former music store that was founded in 1879. This building was built in 1891 and is one of the oldest structures on Woodward Avenue in downtown Detroit.